Monday 25 July 2011

Initial media reactions to the Norway terrorist attack

Reading the initial media responses to the awful events in Norway last week I struck by the way that (a) it was initially assumed (based on practically zero evidence) to be Al Qaeda; and (b) even after it was found to be the work of a (probably lone) right-wing Christian zealot mentions of 'a need for debate around multiculturalism and immigration' and 'jihad' kept finding their way into the reports.

I was going to write a bit more on this, but as usual others have covered it already, and better than I could.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben,

    My name is Nick Muirhead and I work on a weekly media review show called "Listening Post" that airs on Al Jazeera English. Our show critiques global news coverage and this week we are reporting on exactly what your above posting pertains to.

    If are interested on commenting on air about this story then please could you get in touch with me as soon as possible (nic.muirhead@aljazeera.net).

    I hope to hear from you soon.

    Kind regards,
    Nick

    NICHOLAS MUIRHEAD
    Researcher | Listening Post
    (m) +44207 201 2865 (e) nic.muirhead@aljazeera.net
    watch us: http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/listeningpost/

    ReplyDelete